- 19 (0.030 per day)
- Custom Title:
- Guardian Jasper
- Personal Text:
- LEEROOOOOY JENKINS!
- Name Information:
- Meallan Ó Doirnín
Ó Doirnín (descendant of little fist)
“Lightning descendant of little fist”. That’s...pretty much Meallan’s life in a nutshell, really.
- For the most part, Meallan is rather average-looking. He stands at about 5’7”, with a build that was, for most of his life, could be best described as ‘scrawny’. He’s obtained a bit more muscle mass recently, thanks to his training as a Guardian, but he’s not a bodybuilder by any stretch of the imagination. At the very least, he looks less like a wimp during those moments when he feels the compulsion to rip his shirt off. His skin is pale, and he doesn’t tan very easily.
His face is a bit on the triangular side, with a pointed chin and thin lips. Probably the most prominent feature of Meallan’s face are his eyes: large, brown, and awfully expressive, ranging from puppy-dog derpiness to confident arrogance. He’s also a bit nearsighted, though, and can frequently be found sporting a pair of glasses, usually when he has his nose in a book. His hair is thick, ruffle-friendly fluffy, and dark brown, with a tendency to go a bit more wild when he’s dealing with the Fever.
For clothes, Meallan usually favors going for the simple route, with plain, functional boots, solidly built pants, usually in green, brown, or occasionally dark blue, and a loose, white linen shirt. He usually favors the button-down variety, mostly because it’s easier to deal with unbuttoning it rather than feeling the need to rip his shirt clean off (although he has lost more buttons while fumbling with them). He sometimes also wears a simple jacket to match his pants.
Any resemblance to persons with the name Umino Gurio, living, dead, or not yet reborn, is entirely coincidental.
- Matthew Broderick (circa mid-80’s)
- Friends and Family:
- Aengus and Morna Ó Doirnín: Meallan’s parents. They are the owners of the Black Unicorn Brewery, which has gained a certain degree of notoriety thanks to their exceptionally dark and foamy beer (think Eirish Guinness). Aengus inherited the brewery from his father, and is awfully proud of how well it’s done since then. Meallan got his smarts from his dad, who is an intelligent, thoughtful man, who can get really super excited when the topic turns to beer. Morna is a bit more number-centric, and handles the finances for the business. She’s kind of the unofficial head of the family, making sure everyone is doing what they’re supposed to, and being long-suffering over Meallan’s affliction. Aengus, on the other hand, is enjoying seeing his eldest son so passionate, and hopes that it’ll carry over when he inherits the brewery.
Rorie and Talulla Ó Doirnín: Meallan’s younger siblings. Fraternal twins, their coming was a bit of a surprise. As a result they’re only ten right now, and at the perfect age where they have an uncanny ability to cause mischief and get into trouble. Meallan’s duties when he was younger included making sure his siblings didn’t kill themselves, with varying degrees of success (they are, at least, still alive and not cursed by some irate fairy). Rorie and Talulla think their big brother’s affliction is HILARIOUS and take full advantage of it when he’s visiting home.
- Usual Daily Routine:
- Meallan is usually up with the sun, and on good days, is pretty darn productive! When he’s home, he’s usually helping his parents with running the brewery, helping daddy dearest make sure the yeast is happy today, and sometimes making rounds to the surrounding country side to deliver beer to the various and sundry pubs using the family’s faithful steed, Bubbles (as named by Talulla). On lighter days, he sometimes has time to indulge in some of his hobbies, usually reading, inspecting his bottle collection, tending to his ant farm (kept in one of his biggest bottles), and making bread. He gets to bed at a respectable hour. When he’s at the court of Elysia, Meallan usually busies himself with whatever needs doing at the court, usually attending to the Prince or doing research on this, that, or the other thing. He still gets to bed at a respectable hour if he can at all help it.
On bad days, when his curse is in full swing, all bets are off. Meallan is something of a ball of random, although usually he attaches himself onto whoever holds the most prospect of adventure, or sets about adoring his crush of the week, usually by spouting flowery language and trying to save her from every little thing in hopes that she’ll be impressed. He never gets to bed at a respectable hour, and usually only sleeps when he collapses in an exhausted heap.
- Meallan was born the first child of his parents, and for all intents and purposes, didn’t show any signs that he was really destined for greatness. Well, okay, maybe a little, because he could read at an unusually early age and seemed to pick up on things faster than his playmates, but beyond that, really pretty normal. He was a quiet sort most of the time, unless you got him going on one of his favorite subjects, at which point he would turn into kid geek and wax poetic about pebbles or the like.
His childhood wasn’t really anything to speak of. He got some schooling, and he helped his parents with tending the brewery and making deliveries and baking bread when the situation called for it and helping to take care of his younger siblings. He liked his quiet life, and it was generally expected that he would take over the brewery when his parents retired.
His life really didn’t turn upside down until he caught the Fever. Like chicken pox, the Fever is worse if you get it when you’re older, and Meallan was a bit late in contracting it. Passionate and gushing flowery language every chance he got, he had it bad, and was ready to do ANYTHING to impress Sorcha, a girl that lived on a farm near the brewery. He needed to do something DARING. Something BRAVE. And, not intentionally, something STUPID. Luckily for him, that something presented itself rather conveniently in the Challenge, the Eirish answer to choosing their Guardian. He signed up on a whim, thinking that if he did well, Sorcha would turn her head his way, and he could clasp her to his shirtless chest on a green hill and they would live happily ever after!
No one really thought twice about Meallan signing up while in the throes of the Fever. Many of his fellow contestants were in the midst of it, after all. It’s generally accepted that Feverish contestants are too brain-addled to do well enough to win, and the excitement of it might help them through the Fever faster. This time around, the Challenge for the contestants was to retrieve the Golden Fire Bracelet of Somarliðr, a relic stolen by the fairies. Whoever brought back the bracelet would be deemed winner of the Challenge, and would earn the mantle of Guardian Jasper.
Meallan was COMPLETELY ENTHUSIASTIC about the whole thing, including attempting to get to the woods where the bracelet was thought to be held while riding his horse backwards in a further attempt to impress Sorcha (he fell off). Everyone was expecting him to crawl back from the woods shortly after the Challenge began, a bit of sense knocked into him as was typical for many of the Fevered contestants. It was therefore something of a surprise when many of the other Fevered contestants came back, but he did not. It became a concern when several of the normal contestants came back, and he still did not. They were about to begin a search party when Meallan returned, a little battered and bruised, but holding the bracelet aloft for all to see. As it turned out, Meallan was able to complete the Challenge despite his Fever, thanks to a combination of his natural brains, his Fever-induced bravado, and pounds of dumb luck. Either way, rules were rules, and Meallan was appointed Guardian Jasper.
Much to his disappointment, while Sorcha was impressed, she was also much more interested in another guy, leaving Meallan to ride out his Fever to its natural conclusion as he was prepared for his new duties. A week later, he was still with the Fever, and had taken to rescuing pretty girls from stray cats and suspicious-looking milk buckets. Everyone thought he just had a bad case, again thanks to being older, and didn’t think much of it. When he went a second, and then a third week with the Fever, people began to get concerned. Luckily, he seemed to calm down shortly thereafter, only to pick back up again with the Fever a couple weeks later. It was at that point that an Eirish doctor was brought to Elysia to figure out what the problem was with their Guardian.
As it turned out, the fairies that Meallan took the bracelet from were none too pleased that they had been robbed, especially someone so dope-faced, and decided that since they had been embarrassed, the best way to get revenge would be to make the culprit perpetually embarrassed. Therefore, they cursed Meallan such that he would never be completely rid of the Fever. While he does have good days and bad days, usually coinciding with the moon cycle, he’s stuck in a situation where he may decide to run off questing at any moment.
There have been other complications too, such as when he was practically smothered by girls during a lunar eclipse. Everyone’s generally trying to take it in stride, especially Meallan, who would very much like not to feel the need to run about with his shirt off.
- Meallan would insist to you that he’s quite normal, no, really. Honestly, he’s pretty boring most of the time! He’s the sort that would rather be hanging to the back, furiously working on whatever problem is currently at hand, instead of being up at the front shaking hand and smiling. It’s not so much that he’s socially awkward, and he’ll be more than happy to strike up a conversation with you, but that he prefers to keep to himself and stick to the things he knows well.
While usually fairly mild-mannered, he can get excited about things. When you get him going on a topic he’s fond of, Meallan can go on and on excitedly, with an enthusiasm that can be either infectious or off-putting, depending on the person. He loves gathering useless bits of information, and gets a kick out of spouting them when he gets the opportunity to. When he’s upset or annoyed over something, he has a tendency to retreat into his familiar haunts and hobbies, such as mucking about with his ants or burying his nose in a book until he feels better or somebody drags him out. He’s also been known to go off and drown his sorrows in sweets, or even some of his parents’ extra special potent beer.
He’s a bit reserved when he’s amongst a crowd, although when you get him around friendly faces, Meallan opens up a bit more, and his kind side comes out in full force. He’s helpful and thoughtful, with a tendency to do kind, if silly, things for people he cares about (“I made you bread in the shape of a flower, because you like flowers! <3”).
Overall, he’s generally just a nice, nerdy guy.
Note that this description is Meallan in his ‘normal’ state. When he’s in the throes of the Fever, well, it’s Meallan cranked up to 11. He becomes passionate about EVERYTHING, and mentioning a word that even sounds remotely like ‘adventure’ will have him zipping to stand in front of you, dramatic cape at the ready with his shirt unbuttoned. He’s totally ready to play Superman, even though he really and truly isn’t, and has been known to fail spectacularly at his rescue attempts, warranted or not. He has absolutely no foresight, and if it feels right to him at the time, he’s gonna DO IT!
He has a tendency to fly to extremes while Fevered as well. Meallan crushes HARD on girls he fancies, to the point that he will do daring things in their presence to impress them, or save them from mice that look like they might be up to no good. He’ll defend honor like there’s no tomorrow, and has no ability to turn down a dare when it’s put to him. More often than not he’s gotten into scrapes as a result, and needs to have his butt pulled out of the fire by someone more capable. If nothing else, dealing with a Fevered Meallan is an...interesting experience.
- Darkest Secret:
- While Meallan would certainly love to stop running off every five seconds to save people from things, there’s a part of him that’s afraid of what’ll happen if he’s ever cured. He’s afraid he might end up not liking a life that’s at least somewhat peppered with adventure, without the Fever to drive him to it. There’s also the worry that people just might not LIKE him as much. He’s gained a bit more popularity and friends since contracting the Fever. They like brave, foolhardy Meallan--would they also like the Meallan who gets a thrill when he comes across a new bottle to add to his collection? They very well may not.
- Reactions to Sudden Hugs:
- As himself: “Oh, a hug, that’s nice! *hugs back* <3”
Fevered: If it’s from a guy, he’s all “OH HEY BRO LET’S GO OFF AND IMPRESS THOSE LADIES DON’T YOU THINK I TOTALLY THINK WE SHOULD LET’S GO!” If it’s from a girl, he’s going to be convinced it’s TRUE LOVE, and is totally going to clutch her to his chest and look for the nearest verdant hill to stand upon because SURELY that will impress her!
- Special Skills and Aptitudes:
- First off, there is of course the usual coterie of skills that come with being a Guardian, teleportation and the like. The teleportation thing is awfully handy when saving swooning ladies from suspicious-looking bushes! Actually, Meallan has managed to take to the magical part of being a Guardian the best, and has a pretty impressive amount of control in this area. His preferred method of fighting is still “flail dramatically and manage to hit something by pure luck, then insist it was all part of his brilliant strategy”.
And, something should be said about Meallan’s curse. Basically, he can never be completely rid of the Fever. Like a chronic disease, he has good days and bad days, although they usually coincide with the moon. When there’s a new moon, he’s pretty much himself. During a full moon, he is full-on Fevered, panting for adventure and crushing over any pretty lady he sees. He doesn’t get much work done during that time, as he’s usually so riled up that he can’t sit still until he’s at least stood shirtless on the top of a verdant hill, preferably clutching a swooning milkmaid to his chest. There seems to be an odd side-effect of the curse as well. He’s bad enough during full moons, but when there’s a lunar eclipse, the tables seem to be turned. While already in the throes of the Fever, he seems to additionally become unspeakably sexy. He becomes a magnet for every girl in the area, which has led to more than one horrible fiasco.
One positive aspect of the curse is that during the Fever his temperature is raised, and yeast seems to like him. If the Fever isn’t hitting him particularly hard, he can whip out a mean batch of bread (He has SOLAR HANDS).
On a more mundane level, Meallan is awfully intelligent. He’s very good at analyzing problems and finding solutions, and would probably find Mercury to be pretty darn keen if he ever got the chance to go. If there’s research to be done, Meallan’s your boy, and he can learn pretty quickly if faced with a subject he doesn’t know much about. He sops up knowledge like a sponge.
Thanks to his parents, he also knows a thing or two about brewing beer, and can whip up a batch with reasonable speed, should the need arise. It frequently does, seeing as the other Guardians occasionally need to pull him out of whatever fire he has plunged himself headlong into.
He is also a master of epic fails. Yes, this is a skill. <3
- Living Situation:
- When he’s not doing the Guardian thing at the court of Elysia, Meallan still lives at home with his family, and still has to occasionally pull babysitter duty for the twins. They absolutely love this.
- Date Registered:
- September 05, 2011
- Local Time:
- May 21, 2013
- Last Active:
- Today at 05:27 am